Friday 13 December 2013

Recently Read






Re-visiting an old favourite :-)






This is a highly readable, encyclopaedia and  timeline of the Sherlock Holmes canon. A serendipitous charity shop find, it now has a permanent home on my shelves..



This volume contains all the known short stories written by Elinor Brent-Dyer, author of the Chalet School series. Some are better than others, but all are enjoyable.


And another old favourite; I thoroughly enjoyed this re-reading!




Everything Elizabeth Goudge wrote is magnificent and so wonderfully embued with strong Christian values and superb characterisation. This is the final volume of the Eliots of Damerosehay trilogy.



Now that I have finished my NaNo 2013 project, I have had the fun of finally reading the latest Discworld novel by Sir Terry Pratchett.

Raising Steam tells the story of introducing the concept of steam engines- and therefore the railway - to Ankh-Morpork and its inhabitants, with predictable and highly readable results.

It was nice to learn far more about Harry King and his wife in this volume, and both Drumknott and Lord Vetinari reveal hidden depths....

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Elizabeth Goudge is my favourite!!!

Mimi said...

For Christmas (on a message board exchange, so we opened upon receipt) I was gifted "Pilgrim's Inn" by Goudge. I am just getting introduced to her writing, but it is wonderful.