Sunday 1 December 2013

Feathered Friends

I feed the birds in my garden every day and during the most recent cold snap, I have been putting out food twice a day as it is disappearing so quickly.  I had to laugh this morning, as I could see a blue tit fly down to the bird feeder, hop around, look very disgruntled and then flew to a nearby bush and was protesting loudly that the food had not yet been put out! Needless to say, I went straight out and refilled the bird feeder, which has been visited by a very messy wood pigeon who has thrown all of the food onto the ground beneath so the actual feeder is empty again......

The cold weather has finally caused the rigid plastic water dish that came with the bird feeder set to crack and disintegrate and I have been racking my brains as to what I could use instead -  the metal ring which holds the water dish is an unusual size and none of my containers will fit it.

 I had an "Aha!" moment and wondered if one of the  rigid black plastic "ready meal" containers we had recently would work, so I rummaged deep in the cupboard and tried it -  it fits well, and because it was designed to hold a frozen meal, should be able to cope with the cold stress of being outside. And if it doesn't, I will be able to buy another of that type of meal and once eaten, re-use the container :-)

Recent visitors have included wood pigeons, jackdaws,house sparrows, blackbirds, blue tits, great tits, a yellow wagtail (which really surprised me!) and magpies. I hope we get return visits from the long-tailed tits we had last winter, which  are the most beautiful little birds imaginable!

No comments: