Wednesday 1 January 2014

New Year's Resolutions...

Normally I refuse to make any New Year's resolutions, but as this is the year in which I hit the big 5-0, I am determined to make an effort :-)

1/ To actually stick to a rule of prayer faithfully and not erratically. I can manage four canonical  "Hours" a day for several weeks and then not pray any of them for weeks. This, obviously, is Not Good Enough.  I have the resources, both Eastern-Rite Orthodox, Western-Rite Orthodox, RC and Anglican, from my obsessive liturgical book collecting over the last forty years, to sink a battleship.
Compline is now mandatory; others desirable....

2/  To start working my way through the Psalter in Latin, two verses a day, and making sure I actually understand the grammar. A whole Psalm can take a considerable amount of time to study, and when I have tried to do this in the past, it has lasted for a week and then failed as Real Life has got in the way of my study of Latin.....

3/ To cook at least three new recipes a week. I have a good collection of cookbooks and there is no reason to stick to the same small number of recipes each week, even if they are firm family favourites. Either I cook from the cookbooks, or the books will leave this household for a better home!

4/ I collect lots of "series" of books. This is the year in which I actually create a proper tracking method of whether I have the books in e-book or hard-copy format and upload it to my phone so I will always know whether I have a copy of x book or not when I am rummaging through charity shops....

5/ I will revisit my beloved Walsingham after a hiatus of 16 years. I have much to give thanks for, and many people for whom I wish to pray at this shrine of  Our Lady, which is all the more special as I know now that our dear St Nicolai Velimirovitch (of the Prologue of Ochrid fame) himself prayed at the Shrine many times during his visits to Britain and even celebrated the Divine Liturgy there.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

I have a hard time being disciplined also; I hope you are able to visit Walsingham! love to you!! blessed new year my friend!

Mimi said...

What a great list! Happy New Year!